Little Kiwi and Bauhaus

Little Kiwi and Bauhaus
A Boy and His Dog

Saturday 13 November 2010

The Importance of Being Allies - How Supportive are Your Supporters?


The above photo greeted me this morning when I signed onto Facebook. It's my sister and my brother-in-law; shirts they ordered from stonewall.org.uk. Wonderful, eh? And powerful.

All-too-often I hear members of the community saying that they don't need to "proclaim" their orientation or "wear or on their sleeve" or "be defined by it", which (to me) sounds more like cowardly gay-apologist nonsense that anything else. Look, the reality is this: anti-gay bigots sure love to scream from the rooftops how much they hate gay people. And as America refuses to pass hate-speech legislation, we cannot shut them up. What we can do is raise our voices to match theirs, and be just as vocal, just as visible, and combat their shouted lies with truth and love.

And so, these thoughts came to mind....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have the coolest Sister and Brother-in-law ever. That is really great. My entire family owns different pride and fckh8 shirts. Not only does it mean a lot to me, I think it makes a difference. I think it's about creating solidarity. If all the Queer and Allies came out as such to show this world that they are "normal" people in the community, not some faceless group, this wouldn't be a fight.

You have a great blog! I stumbled upon it after you sent me a message on connexion. I will definitely keep reading. So you should keep writing. ;)

Logan

Little Kiwi Loves Bauhaus

Little Kiwi Loves Bauhaus
Good Dog!